Jamaican Toto, also known as Jamaican Coconut Cake, is a popular and well-known delicacy that embodies the enticing flavors of the Caribbean. This delicious treat is moist, soft, and has a rich coconut flavor with a hint of nutmeg and cinnamon. This Jamaican dish is very popular and loved by locals and tourists.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR JAMAICAN TOTO
1. Freshly Grated Coconut – You will need one small coconut. If unable to obtain, you can substitute for desiccated coconut. If substituting, you will need to soak it in hot water for at least 20 minutes to rehydrate the coconut.
2. Baking Powder
3. Brown sugar
4. Baking Soda
10. Coconut Oil
11. Coconut Milk
14. Ginger Powder
15. Pimento Powder (allspice)
16. Mixed Spice
17. Pure Vanilla Extract
HOW TO MAKE JAMAICAN TOTO
1. Mix all your dry ingredients together.
2. Add in your wet ingredients and mix well.
3. Pour your mixture into two bread pans and bake at 350°F for 45-48 minutes.
4. Cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting.
You can make the following substitution to reduce the amount of calories in this recipe.
- Substitute regular coconut milk and milk for the light version.
- Reduce the amount of coconut milk and increase the milk quantity as coconut milk has roughly 4 times the amount of calories compared to regular milk.
- You can reduce the amount of sugar. Start off with reducing by half a cup to see how you like it.
- Reduce the grated coconut by half a cup. It shouldn’t be a vast difference in taste, but it will be in calories, as most of the calories come from coconut and coconut byproducts.
HOW TO STORE IT
It will last for up to 2 days at room temperature. However, if you want it to last a little longer, you can store it in the fridge for up to 1 week.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you tried this recipe and found it delicious, I would appreciate it if you rate this recipe and leave a comment so that more people can see it. Your email will not be displayed.
- ½ cup Melted Unsalted Butter
- 2 ½ cup Brown Sugar (350g)
- 3 cups Flour (375g)
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Ginger Powder
- ½ tsp Pimento Powder (allspice)
- 1 tsp Mixed Spice
- 2 cups Freshly Grated Coconut (200g) (from 1 small coconut)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 cup Milk (250ml)
- 1 cup Coconut Milk (250ml)
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil
- 2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Mix all your dry ingredients together.
- Add in your wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour your mixture into two bread pans and bake at 350°F for 45-48 minutes.
- Cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting.