Jamaican fried dumpling is a popular dish known for its fluffy interior with a crispy exterior. It is a versatile food that is commonly consumed for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It is made by using simple everyday ingredients found in your kitchen and fried until golden brown.
WHAT IS JAMAICAN FRIED DUMPLING
Jamaicans commonly referred to Fried Dumplings as Johnny Cakes, a name derived from the phrase “journey cakes.” These fried doughs were packed for long journeys during slavery in Jamaica, hence their name.
2. Baking Powder
3. Sugar (optional)
HOW TO MAKE FRIED DUMPLING
1. Whisk your dry ingredients.
2. Add in the softened butter and use your fingers to mix it in the flour mixture.
3. Add in your wet ingredients and knead your dough.
4. Cover and rest for one hour.
5. Sprinkle some flour on your dough and roll it out into smaller balls.
6. Heat 2 cups of oil.
7. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side on medium heat or until you get to your desired color.
WHAT TO SERVE IT WITH?
On their own, these Jamaican fried dumplings are delicious. However, here are some popular foods that go well with them:
1. Ackee and Saltfish
3. Corned Beef “Bully Beef”
4. Steamed Cabbage
I also love eating them with egg for breakfast.
HOW TO STORE IT
These are best when served fresh, but you can store them for up to 5 days in the fridge. You can also make the dough ahead of time and refrigerate it for up to 3 days before frying.
CAN I REHEAT IT?
You can reheat them but use the oven rather than a microwave to prevent the dough from becoming tough and difficult to eat.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you tried this recipe and found it delicious, I would appreciate it if you rate this recipe and leave a comment so that more people can see it. Your email will not be displayed.
JAMAICAN FRIED DUMPLING
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ tbsp Sugar
- ½ tbsp Softened Butter
- ¼ cup Water
- ¼ cup Milk
- Whisk your dry ingredients.
- Add in the softened butter and use your fingers to mix it in the flour mixture.
- Add in your wet ingredients and knead your dough.
- Cover and rest for one hour.
- Sprinkle some flour on your dough and roll it out into smaller balls.
- Heat 2 cups of oil.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side on medium heat or until you get to your desired color.