Bananas are such a versatile fruit and so many great foods are created from them. These banana fritters only take a few minutes to make but are just as delicious as banana bread.
Growing up, my grandmother would always make saltfish fritters and it was one of my favorite foods to have aside from fried dumpling. I have also tried callaloo fritters from another family member, but it wasn’t until I got married that I finally tried banana fritters made by my mother-in-law. This recipe is a great way to use up any ripe bananas you might have on hand. These are my husband’s favorite but they are soon to be yours as well.
WHAT ARE BANANA FRITTERS?
Fritters are fried batter that can be made with a variety of ingredients, including bananas. Traditionally, banana fritters are made with flour, spices, sugar, and mashed bananas. You can eat them for breakfast, but they also make a great snack.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE IT
2. Brown Sugar
5. Pure Vanilla
7. Overripe Bananas
8. Oil (for frying)
HOW TO MAKE BANANA FRITTERS
1. Mash your overripe bananas.
2. Add your cinnamon, salt, brown sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, vanilla and mix well.
3. Add in your remaining ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
4. Pour 1 heaping spoonful of batter per fritter in your pan and fry on medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side.
5. Drain the fritters on a paper towel and enjoy.
Can I use salted butter? You can use salted butter, but just remember to omit the salt required in this recipe.
It is best to have banana fritters when they are freshly made. However, you can store banana fritters in the fridge for up to 4 days.
HOW TO REHEAT THEM
These fritters are best reheated on the stove on low heat, but ensure that you are not using too much oil and that it is hot enough before frying.
Microwaving the fritters is not recommended as they will come out soggy.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you tried this recipe and found it delicious, I would appreciate it if you rate this recipe and leave a comment so that more people can see it. Your email will not be displayed.
JAMAICAN BANANA FRITTERS
- 3 Overripe Bananas
- ½ tsp Vanilla
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- ¾ cup Flour
- ½ cup Oil (for frying)
- Mash your overripe bananas.
- Add your cinnamon, salt, brown sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, vanilla and mix well.
- Slowly add in your flour and mix until well incorporated.
- Pour 1 heaping spoonful of batter per fritter in your pan and fry on medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Drain the fritters on a paper towel and enjoy.