This cherry crisp is a quick and easy recipe that is made with a crunchy oat topping and cherry pie filling.
The best thing about using cherry pie filling is you can use one can and either double this recipe or split the quantity and use the other half to make cherry galette. I prefer serving this dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, but you can also enjoy it on its own. It is a little on the sweet side, so if you have a sweet tooth, then this will be perfect for you. Otherwise, you can adjust the sugar to your sweetness preference.
IS THERE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CRISP, COBBLER AND CRUMBLE?
All three toppings are made with the same base ingredients of butter, flour and sugar, but with slight variations.
A cobbler uses more liquid to achieve a biscuit or cake like topping. It can be more melted butter or melted butter and milk, like I used in my blueberry cobbler.
A crumble, sometimes referred to as a streusel, and a crisp, uses less melted butter to achieve a crumble like consistency. The main difference between a crumble and crisp is that a crumble does not contain any oats, like in my apple crumble, whereas a crisp does.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR CHERRY CRISP
2. Brown Sugar
4. Unsalted Butter
5. Quick-Cooking Oats
6. Cherry Pie Filling
8. Baking Powder
HOW TO MAKE CHERRY CRISP
1. Add your dry ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
2. Add in your melted butter and mix to combine.
3. Divide your cherry pie filling into 3 separate ramekins.
4. Evenly spread the topping over your filling.
5. Place the ramekins on a baking tray and bake at 375°F for 25 minutes.
6. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
7. Serve warm as is or with vanilla ice cream.
HOW TO STORE IT
Store it in the fridge for 3-5 days in an airtight container.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you tried this recipe and found it delicious, I would appreciate it if you rate this recipe and leave a comment so that more people can see it. Your email will not be displayed.
- ¼ cup Flour (31g)
- ¼ cup Quick-Cooking Oats (25g)
- ⅓ cup Brown Sugar (65g)
- ½ tsp Baking Powder (3g)
- ⅛ tsp Salt (1/2g)
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon (3g)
- ¼ cup Unsalted Melted Butter (56g)
- 270 ml Cherry Pie Filling
- Add your dry ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
- Add in your melted butter and mix to combine.
- Divide your cherry pie filling into 3 separate ramekins.
- Evenly spread the topping over your filling.
- Place the ramekins on a baking tray and bake at 375°F for 25 minutes.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve warm as is or with vanilla ice cream.